Wednesday, June 6, 2007

BIG baby epidemic!

So after delivering a big, no, let me rephrase that, HUGE baby I started noticing all the people I knew who had really big babies. It all started about 2 years ago when my teeny tiny cousin Michelle had 9lb 10oz Brooklyn. I remember reading the weight on the e-mail my uncle sent and thinking that was INSANE. Then there was Macy. I remember seeing little Macy MacDiarmid at 3 weeks and thinking she looked about 2 months old (wasn't she like 9lbs 5oz). Lynn, a teacher from Justin's work, had a 10lb 6oz baby. WOW! She was robbed of the 1st month, come on! Then I had Aubrey, weighing in at a whopping 9lbs 14oz. She was my first baby. How could this be?

And the epidemic keeps on going. Megan had 9lb Christian and her sister had 10lb 3oz Canaan (at home in her bath tub nonetheless). Anna had 9lb 5oz(I think that's right) Dallin. A kindergarten teacher at my school, who is about 5ft tall had a 9lb 30z baby. And today, Jed's cousin Heather tied me when she delivered 9lb 14oz Gavin. Congrats to Heather, Anthony and big sister Kayla!

So what's the moral of the story? What the heck is going on! Did people really have babies this big back in the day? I know all of Justin's grandma's babies were in the 9lb range, but I feel like babies just keep getting bigger! Don't get me wrong, I loved having a big, healthy baby. I could dress her in all her cute outfits when she was less than a month and I didn't feel like I was going to break her, but it still seems odd. Maybe there is some truth in Allyson's hormone milk philosophy. What could be causing this big baby epidemic. Thank God for the sweet normal newborn sized babies like petite little 7lb 4oz Gracie. There is still hope for all you pregnant girls out there...just don't drink the hormone milk. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha, man- you have a point here! How much did you weigh when you were born? I was 6lbs11oz, which seems really little now! Hmmmm, wonder how much our next babies will weigh!

Olive Oyl said...

Everyone in the Cham fam seems to have wee little critters... but then again, I think I just consider them small because they are so tiny compared to the other huge kids in nursery, who are really apparently the normal sized kids.

Don't worry, Barbie. I will be joining the jumbo-kid ranks in less than 4 short months. I'm thinking it will ring in at atleast 8 lbs, 9 oz. With LOTS of hair of course... :)

Misha Cohen said...

You are funny, I love the research, and the no hormone milk, good tip (I already try to eat hormone free-come on if birth control causes issues why add more hormones to the equation-just kidding) anyhow I am still confident that when our sweet time comes we will have a tini thing.

Anna said...

Funny! I have noticed it to, I thought maybe our family was turning into mutants, but I remembered Im not blood! Ha. Love me a fat baby though!

Lift Up Your Hearts said...

Alas, I hardly *ever* drank milk when I was pregnant with Canaan. In fact, I didn't eat or drink much at all until the end of my pregnancy since I was so sick. I only gained 3 lbs altogether. Who knows - I know that our good nutrition has a lot to do with it though! Then again, I think I probably have about the same body chemistry, diet etc. now that I did ten years ago and Malachi was only 7 lbs, Graham 7 lbs 12 oz. Hmm. I heard that the average now is 8 lb 3 oz.