Monday, November 5, 2007

My Interview- a.k.a. autobiography

1. What do you like/love most about Justin? About Aubrey? About yourself?

Justin- What I love most…it’s hard to choose just one thing so I’ll write about my top 3. I love that he’s easy going. Justin doesn’t stress or overanalyze. He keeps me in perspective. Justin just goes with the flow most of the time and it’s nice to know I can depend on that. I also love that he’s ambitious. Justin has set professional goals for himself and continues to persue them. He already has his Master’s Degree and is STILL going to school to get his administrative credential. He even talks about going on to get his educational doctorate. I was good at school, but have NO desire to go back. He just takes it all in stride and keeps chugging along. I’m proud of him for that. I know it’s got to be challenging to juggle work, school and a new baby, but he never shows any signs of stress (that’s the easy–going part of him). Mostly, though, I love that he loves us. Justin is a family guy. He enjoys being home with us, spending time as a family and working together to make our home nice. I love how Aubrey lights up when Daddy walks in the door. I love that he gets up 15 minutes earlier than me so he can get Aubrey dressed and feed her breakfast while I shower. I love that he priorities us. I really lucked out!

Aubrey- Man, I just love everything about this kid! I love that she’s a mommy’s girl. I love that she likes to snuggle with me. I love that she’s starting to really show her personality, express her opinion and find her independence. I love that she’s an animal lover, that she likes me to read her books, and that she loves her bath and bedtime routine. Pretty much the list could go on and on.

Myself- So hard to write about yourself, but here goes. I love the mommy I’ve become. I really try to make my day revolve around the kids. I try to take them to the park everyday and follow a pretty predictable routine. I try to make all of our lives easier, but I’m still flexible. I’m not a “by the book” mommy, but I’m not a wing it mommy, I’ve tried to find a balance. I like the way I’ve found balance between work and home (thankful that Justin supports my decision to work part time). I’m also a good teacher who realizes that the subject you teach is not all your students NEED to learn from you. I try to demonstrate what being a positive, productive member of society is like. Hopefully, Aubrey will also learn this from me.

2. What has been the most positive surprise about being a mom? What has been hardest surprise?

Hmmm…Surprise is an interesting word because I think I really was prepared for anything. I feel like Christy having Brogan really prepared me for the basics of what it was going to be like. Maybe the best surprise was that having Aubrey has brought me closer to family. Closer to Justin, closer to Christy and her family, closer to my parents and my in-laws. It’s like all of our worlds are consumed by the love we have for her and it just makes life better.
The hardest surprise is probably how much more sensitive she makes me. I watch crime shows and I cry because I imagine what it would be like if it were Aubrey. I cry when I hear about a child who has lost a parent because I put myself and Aubrey in their place. I cry when I realize one of my students is in the foster care system, because it makes me sad that they don’t have the life they deserve. Sometimes I just cry because I look at Aubrey and I’m just so thankful that God gave me this beautiful blessing of a child. I know part of the crying is just being a woman, but I’m definitely MORE sensitive now.


3. How many children do you and Justin want? Why?

Two with the option of three. I say three, he says two. I want a bigger family because I thrive on chaos. Big families are just more fun! Justin is worried about the odd man out with three. He’s worried about supporting 3 kids and saving to help support them through college. I figure we survived and so will they.

4. What the biggest decision you've ever made that has had a large impact on your future?

Choosing the right friends and hanging out with the right crowd in high school. Don’t get me wrong, some of my friends had a bit of a wild streak, but for the most part we were squares (old school term, I know). I always think about how blessed I was with good friends. My friends were true friends to the core and still are. I love my “girls”. Megan and Misha helped get me involved in church, which led to me accepting the Lord as my Savior. The both brought me to Westbrook, where I met Justin. And, well, the rest is history as they say.

5. Whats one thing about your childhood that stands out the most to you either positive or negative?

My parents being divorced I think was both positive and negative. My sister and I talk about this often. 1st of all, my parents were divorced before I was a year old, so I never knew them married. The effects of a divorce linger though. It still lingers 27 years later.

1st the positives: Many families…I felt extra loved because I had extra families, Mom was our stability and rock, and Dad’s house was like vacation…it was all about fun and cousins and being dirty and having toys, Summers…with both sides of the extended family, my step dad- CC, if you know him, you understand how much he’s meant to me, double the Christmas, double the birthdays, being exposed to diversity, always feeling like you had a spare house (kinda like a spare tire) in case one didn’t work out ;)

Next the negatives: Many families…juggling it all during holidays, trying to keep both sides happy, always worried about defending the other parent when one was mad, Money (just all the money stuff that comes with being divorced), parents dating, “new” families, being exposed to diversity, new parents, new divorces, new heartache.

6. If money were no object what would you buy yourself for Christmas (something that is just for you-I know you'd spoil Aubrey, that goes without saying)?

A really nice camera, like Lorie’s or a new minivanJ .

7. You have such a strong believe in God/Christianity. How do you feel that has helped you or does help you in your life?

A strong belief in the Lord doesn’t necessarily make life easier, it just makes it more bearable J God answers prayers even when we don’t realize it. He provides for us in so many different ways. God has opened doors all along my journey even when I wanted to go through other doors. From my family situation, to my friends, to my married life, to my job He is evident. I know that the things that happen are for a purpose and, although at times I want to control them, ultimately I’ve learned to trust Him. God provides reason and purpose to my life. He surrounds us with beauty and because I know Him, I’m able to see the beauty. Vague answer, but how do you get more specific?

Thanks for the ?s Anna. Anyone else want to be interviewed? Just leave me a comment and I'll send you your questions.

7 comments:

melanie said...

Great post Barbie! Oh I can cry at the drop of a hat. I can't ever watch crime shows anymore (they give me nightmares) and when a parent dies leaving young kids behind my heart just breaks.

You are such a great mom, Aubrey is so blessed to have you in her life.

Like you, I don't follow all the rules but definitely have some in place. Balance is so hard but it's what I want too.

Anna said...

I loved hearing your answers, especially about Aubrey.

bandofbrothers said...

I am sooo impressed that you try to take the kids to the park everyday--I confess that I don't take the boys outside as often as I should. I was inspired by you, so today we played outside.

Brent and Julie said...

I liked reading your interview! You are a great person Barbie and I love that we are such good friends!!!

Anonymous said...

Davi- I have to confess...I haven't taken them at all this week :( Monday I didn't have a carseat for Brogan until Aubrey was down for a nap and Yesterday and today I had lunch plans. Oh well, I USUALLY do take them but not always :)

Thanks for the kudos girls :)

Megan said...

Barbie thank you so much for what you said about Misha and I, that was so sweet. You were a guidepost in my life, for SURE. My parents even thank you for the role you played in my life (and continue to play)! I love this, and would love to have some questions too if you have time. = ) Justin is a very lucky man, and oh- Aubrey is going to be thanking you for a lifetime!

Sara said...

I loved reading this about your Barbie. Your answers were so insightful and sweet. Your family is blessed to have you!