Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Memories in the making

As a child, most of my experiences seemed normal. The places I went, things I did, people I knew, all were just part of who I was. I had/have so many unusual, fond memories that could only belong to me (and perhaps my sister). I guess that's one of the benefits of a blended/unblended/blended (well you get the idea ;) ) family. Just a sampling of those memories: catching fireflies during my summers in Pennsylvania, spending snowy nights in the catholic rectory where my grandma worked, driving forklifts in my dad's warehouse to make room for our "skating rink", hiding in our basement for tornado warnings during our summers in North Dakota, searching trade-in cars for money while "working" with CC, Fort Ligonier, labeling honey bears or extracting honey followed by water skiing on Moses Lake...and the list goes on and on. So many fond memories, and as grandparents pass away one by one, I can't help but feel a sense of mourning. Not only their loss, but also the loss of memories my girls will never get to experience.

How I wish Aubrey could spend one summer in Pennsylvania. I wish we could roll down the hill next to my grandma's house or take a walk to St. Vincent College and pick berries along the way. I wish we could visit Father (a priest who was like my grandfather) and go eat pierogies or stuffed cabbage with him. I wish she could go to North Dakota and take a bath in the black water. She could climb the tall rock or make a lemonade stand to sell lemonade to the workers after a hard day extracting honey. But all those memories are mine, not hers. And as much as I cherish them, I realize that she'll make her own memories that will be as fond as my memories. Only her memories will be of her grandparents. Memories of summers swimming in Papa CC's pool, flying to Florida and driving the golf cart all around The Villages, of the play room at Grandma and Grandpa's house, of summers in Washington with cooler weather and plenty of fun playing in water.

Our recent vacation to Washington was a reminder of how things change, families grow, and new memories are formed. It was my first trip back up to "grandma's house" since my grandma passed away. It was bittersweet. She was missed, but her legacy was celebrated with family gatherings and great food. And there were plenty of memories in the making. Aubrey's first ski boat ride (that ended abruptly with a broken engine ;) ), swimming in the FREEZING 60 degree weather (heated pool), meeting Bigfoot, going to see Papa Steve's new "cabin" near Birch Bay, taking a tour of Silverbow Honey (our family honey business), being spoiled by her Papa Steve, playing with Maggie, Dallin and, of course, Bubba and Reaggie. I look forward to watching as my girls form their own fond memories of childhood. If they're anything like my memories, they'll be some of their most cherished posessions.

Pictures of our trip coming soon!

2 comments:

Mommy Diffee said...

Such a bitter sweet post Barbie, I loved it =)

Sara said...

Such an insightful post. You really can't go back and it's so weird to think that's the kind of thing we are creating now for our own kids. I love your outlook on embracing the now!