Thursday, February 28, 2008

Venting...and lack of!

Excuse the paragraph spacing...blogger is not cooperating.

I awoke this morning to get ready, and while I was making my morning visit to the potty, I noticed a greyish tint to the toilet seat. At first I thought it was my morning fog, but then after using the potty, I swiped my finger over the seat to see a streak of white across the grey surface. I was a bit alarmed and proceeded to clean the surface with a Clorox wipe. I just assumed Justin had lit a candle in the bathroom or something. When I asked him, he told me that the only candle he had lit was the one in the living room that my secret pal had given me. It was a great smelling Tyler candle, but it was ALL the way in the living room. How in the world could a candle so far away cause this grey toilet seat.

Then as I was washing Aubrey's face to get her ready for the day, I noticed grey boogies in her nose. I cleaned it out with a Q-tip and then checked mine....grey boogies too. YIKES? I told Justin that we were throwing away that candle immediately! We're candle people, but I was getting frightened. I checked the other toilet...same grey film. YUCK!
Skip ahead to this evening. I'm getting the clean clothes that I dried last night out of the dryer and all of Aubrey's cute white shirts are dingy grey. Officially F-R-E-A-K-E-D out! Did we have a dryer fire? Heater fire? or was all of this soot from that candle? Whatever it happened to be, I'm worried about Aubrey. Justin has cleaned the dryer vents, heater vents, went to buy a carbon monoxide detector and after reading THIS article....I'm only burning candles when the house is well ventilated. I just hope I haven't done any irreversible damage to my baby girl.
Anyone ever heard of anything like this before?
To say the least, no heater, dryer or candles tonight until we figure this situation out!

6 comments:

Anna said...

I have no idea what it is but that is weird. I would freak out just like you, but Im sure Aubrey is fine. Maybe take her in if you are very worried just to ease your mind. Im a candle burning fool, now Im gonna be a neurotic candle-burning fool!
Blogger made me so mad today too!

bandofbrothers said...

yah, blogger was being weird on me too. so weird about the gray stuff. i guess it's good to keep your windows and doors open when you can, for extra ventilation. whenever the boys go out to play i open up the back door and my sliding door. let us know what you find out sleuth Barbie!

themurphys said...

YES! THIS HAPPENED TO US!
Maybe in a smaller degree...but still! I accidently left a Gap Holiday candle burning in a bathroom one night. Apparantly when the air kicked on, it pulled the bathroom door shut (you know how it does that sometimes) and we went to bed. (I still can't beleive i left it burning..i'm usually so good about making sure they're out!) The next morning I walked in and the candle was still burning. I thought nothing of it until I turned on the light and noticed that grey stuff on the pot. AND the sink. AND the shower curtain. AND the walls and ceiling. I even looked inside the cabinets and took out toilet paper rolls..there was a ring of white where the roll had been..even way back in the cabinet. It was horrible, ruined the carpet and took forever to clean up. Where did you leave the candle? Small room? I no longer use Gap candles even though it's probably not the brand's fault. I'm so sorry. That stinks!

Lift Up Your Hearts said...

How weird and freaky indeed!! Let us know what you find out!

Anna said...

Any word on the gray matter yet?

Megan said...

Oh no! oh no oh no oh no. The candle lover in me is pretending I did NOT just read this. Especially since we have balnconies now and cannot open our doors for Christian's safety. SHOOT! Say it isn't so?!