Isn't that an oxymoron? I know what dressy means and I know what casual means, but what the heck is dressy casual?
Justin's 10 year high school reunion is this Saturday. I've know about it for a LONG time and I bought a dress for it about 3 weeks ago. Because the tickets were $80 each, it was at 7 in the evening and it was being held in a nice local hotel, I assumed it was a semi-formal function. It's not like I bought a formal dress, but I would definitely say it's dressy. Justin saw the dress, liked it and because I never really have time to shop, that was the end of that. I finally found shoes tonight and bought a necklace. I was trying on my ensemble and we were discussing what Justin would wear when I made him go grab the flier to discuss it all. The invitation says to wear dressy casual attire. This is where I freaked out. Was I going to be way over dressed? I got irritated that Justin had never mentioned this and now I'm not sure what to do. Honestly, with a wine and cheese party on Friday night with one of Justin's bosses, my mom coming on Saturday and the reunion Saturday night, I don't think there is time to start from scratch.
Here's what I have so far:
A black, fitted bubble dress
(sorry about the poor picture quality)
It's a little longer on me because I'm short.
Basic patent leather black peep toe heels
This necklace from Target- it isn't super long and pretty much fills up the whole upper chest area

I'm thinking that maybe I'll return the necklace and go for one of the longer wrap type of ones...maybe in colored beads?
Help me make this outfit "dressy casual" instead of semi-formal!
I totally should have posted Halloween and birthday party pics from last weekend, but I'm being self-absorbed instead ;)
10 comments:
hee hee. i don't think you are self absorbed.these are crucial matters! i have no idea what dressy causual means. all i know, is you are gonna look hot! can't wait to see a pic of you in that number:)
I think it would look awesome either way, but colored beads might dress it down. And maybe a shorter heel? you're going to look fab!
justin is definitely going to love showing you off Barbie! I LOVE what you chose and totally think it's safer to err on the dressier side of "dressy casual" (whatever that is). It'll be the girl who shows up in jeans and a sweater set that'll feel self conscious!
Oh no Barbie, you've totally nailed it. I agree with Lorie though, funk it up with colored beads & you'll be good to go!
I think that is perfect! I would have got the EXACT SAME outfit if I read "dressy casual"! It is super cute. Plus it is always better to be over dressed than under dressed ... that’s what I think anyways =) Don’t over think it ... people will be dressed a million different ways ... relax and enjoy meeting all you hubby’s old friends! You might get to hear some funny stories!
On that note ... my husband did got to high school with a Dallas ... is that who she is talking about? Do all of the kids have names of places ...? I heard about a high school friend like that. We missed Ryan’s 10 year reunion so I did not get to meet all the high school friends ... I think he planned it that way ... I know he has so precarious high school stories!! =)
Girl - I wouldn't change a thing. You'll look great. Seriously.
o.k. so when i got hired at my job, i dressed nice but with jeans some times, and i found out from th principal that the new dress code starting this year is dressy casual. i thought the same thing. what the heck is that? so he told me to google it. funny right(i dont think he had a clue what it meant for women to wear either) so pretty much what you have is PERFECT! even the necklace. at my work, some people dress casual, minus the jeans except fridays, and some really go all out but not revealing. I think you will look great. and btw, Joyell lives down the street from me. Good Luck and Have Fun....
Wow, I can tell you all about casual, but that dressy part gets me everytime! Love ya!
Have fun, I am glad someones going to a highschool reunion! :) as you know we all missed ours! :) So anyhow have the the dress is cute and back always works...and it looks cotton so that is casual and the length is a "dressy cas" so it works...I hate those clothes moments tho, sometimes that happens to me in prep for a wedding or something..ok have a fun weekend, mish
Post a Comment