Saturday, November 8, 2008

High school and beyond



We went to Justin's reunion tonight. I'm not sure what my expectations were, but it definitely didn't live up to them. Out of the core group of 5-6 high school friends of Justin's, we were the ONLY ones to go. There were definitely people that Justin knew there (and a few I knew as well), but it was awkward and, well, just not the ideal way to spend our time/money. Really, I think Justin felt some obligation to go because the class president was the daughter of his old principal and Special Ed director. We would see her at their little poker get together and she would eagerly encourage us to go. Don't get me wrong, I didn't mind going, it just wasn't great. We did, however, get to dress up and have a nice dinner, and I think Justin had fun seeing some old friends.


I didn't go to my reunion because it was in July and I was in the 1st trimester of pregnancy. The sickness and exhaustion was really discouraging and, well, none of my close friends from high school were planning on attending. After seeing the pictures from the reunion, I was glad I didn't go. It seemed that many of the alumni were up to their old tricks and I would have felt uncomfortable. Although Justin's reunion was a much classier affair, it's sad to say that many of the people there were also a bit immature. As the class president was giving her speech, the ladies at our table (they ran out of seats, so we ended up sitting at a table with random people) were making comments like... "well, I didn't vote for you"....and...."sha..it's time to go get a drink" -like she wasn't worth their time. They also said things like..."if I would have planned it, I would have just had it at Trout's and charged $10 a person, because let's face it, people only come to drink". These weren't trashy looking women. They looked elegant, but they had such bad attitudes. High school revisited, I guess.


It's funny to reflect on high school because as much as I LOVED high school and everything that it included (spirit days, classes, friends, lunch time, football games, etc) deep down inside part of me was so intimidated by it all. Mostly this was at Garces (all 3 days I went there) and Stockdale, but I also felt this intimidation at West (Did you know I went to 3 different high schools?). High school kids can be cruel (so can adults) and although I'm pretty outgoing, I have a hard time being confident in myself. I remember reading my freshman yearbook when I went to Stockdale and it was full of comments like, "you're so quiet"...um HELLO...I am not quiet. It's just that I never fully felt comfortable there. At West my group of friends was actively involved and I guess I would consider us "popular" in our own ways, but I as still extremely intimidated by other social groups...ranging from the scary partier kids to the Bible club bunch. I still struggle with feeling confident in social settings (you would probably never guess) and hearing how immature those woman were tonight, made me revisit my insecurities from high school. I'm happy that my self-worth isn't defined by what other people think. Although I miss the excitement, silliness and camaraderie of high school, I don't miss the spiritual warfare that's inherent to that stage of life.



I always pray that when Aubrey gets older she'll be well-liked, but not popular (is that mean of me?). I think that popularity brings with it too much pressure to fit in. I hope that she always feels confident in the person that she is; the person that God created. I hope she's an encourager. That she's the type of person that others look to for a kind word or a friendly smile. I know that these are the type of people that mean people like to hate, but deep down inside, I know that those mean people need the friendly smile the most.

Speaking of friendly smiles... here's the weekly run down of picures.


Aaron's girls had a triple birthday party!

Happy 30th Allyson!

(Did you know she might be blogging soon...YAY)


Henry was happy as a clam the whole day.

Ally's parents have my dream house. Check out this back yard.


Carefree in the country.



TWO and FOUR!

Alyssa and I created the winning pumpkin(s)

in the creativity category at Christy's pumpkin party.

Cindy Lou Who




A Seuss is a Seuss,
and sometimes a silly goose.
(my attempt at a small rhyme)
The birthday boy, uncle Kurt.
Cousins

11 comments:

Madonna said...

Sorry you had to relive your old high school feelings. Honestly, I would have never known that you had those feelings by looking at you. I on the other hand, was always so awkward and thought I bothered people.

On to another topic, Aubrey was so cute in her halloween costume. I love that your whole family did a theme. You all are so festive.

Megan said...

what a fun post! First of all, that costume!!! It was just meant for her! I hope your family win some type of costume contest- that was an awesome idea. Kind of makes me miss the days we'd dream up our attire for spirit days and then either ride to school together or meet up within 30 seconds of entering the gate. LOL. You look seriously stunning for the reunion. Dang- too bad people had their own agendas in a huge way. I'm still so glad we didn't go to West's.

Kim said...

You look beautiful Barbie, where's the necklace? I had the same reaction to my reunions, I kind of felt like it was a party where for some reason I was invited to the "popular"kids party and I felt just as out of place with the "partying " now as I did then. Even at my 20 year reunion everyone was still immature. My idea of a fun reunion would be to have a big Class picnic where you could see your classmates as parents or adults not in a "party" setting.
Halloween was so fun and my little "Cindy Lou Who "was adorable as always!

Brent and Julie said...

I didn't go to my reunion either. I had just had Gracie and was still carrying the extra baby weight. Plus, I'm not really close to anyone I went to highschool with anymore. I heard it was a bust just like Justin's. On a brighter note...you looked fabulous. I love that dress!!!! It's fun to have any excuse to dress up.

bandofbrothers said...

You looked gorgeous! I did not attend my reunion because I went to a gang-banger high school, LOL. The one benefit to that type of school, is that NO ONE was popular. It was just survival, for the most part. I am so glad not to be around that kind of nonsense!

Aubrey looked adorable and I love your family costume. And so great to see Ally and her girls!!!

Misha Cohen said...

You look great hot moma!!! :)
and I love the creative category of the pumpkins...in the future I will have to add some competition element to pumpkin parties. :)

lorieloo said...

Scott saw on my facebook the other day that there was a BHS reunion this past month and he was like "wait why wasn't I invited?" and I was like "yeah, cause you SO would have gone". =) I guess being semi- anti- social has it's perks. and being male. cause seriously the idea of my reunion makes me shutter and I still have a few years.

But I agree with your ideas of not wanting Henry to popular. I would love for him to find that core group of kids that uplift and encourage and are actual FRIENDS.

Let's pray our kids will all end up at the same high school and maybe actually be friends. Because wouldn't that be AWESOME.=)

lorieloo said...

okay I meant you not wanting AUBREY to not be popular, and that I feel the same way about HENRY.

But I'm sure you got that from my hugely horrific run on sentence.

Talia said...

your thoughts after Justin's ten-year reunion sound almost exactly like mine after we went to Jeremy's. Hmmm, what does that say about highschool? :)
but you looked so gorgeous in that dreass, and I'm glad you two had a nice evening out!

the caterpillar pumpkin is too cute... so creative!!
And I LOVE your costumes. :)

Anonymous said...

Barbie, can I just say that I've heard my high school reunions are now made up of ONLY the people who drink? :-) It seems the same people go, year after year. I think you and Megan can see the trend already. You looked gorgeous!

Mommy Diffee said...

Can you e-mail me your e-mail address so I can add you to my blog? I made it private. angela.diffee@phoenix.edu Thanks!